ICT Virtual Organization of ASEAN Institutes and NICT
“ICT Virtual Organization of ASEAN Institutes and NICT (ASEAN IVO)” is a global alliance of ICT R&D institutes and universities in the ASEAN region and Japan. The initial idea was mentioned at the first Round Table, “International Roundtable on ICT R&D Collaboration in the ASEAN Region” held in 2013, and a proposal to establish the Organization was given and approved in the second Round Table, “ASEAN-NICT ICT Round Table 2015”.
The mission of ASEAN IVO is to seek and identify strategic ICT research areas in the ASEAN region, and promote collaborative projects in them.
This will provide the optimal approach to strengthen partnerships of international collaboration and cooperation throughout the ASEAN region, with the view to solving common social challenges such as communication limitations in rural areas and disaster situations, language barriers, network security, infrastructure, energy, agriculture, and more.
With this in mind, ASEAN IVO is to work as a platform for proposals from member organizations and activity review, thus opening a channel of communication about ongoing research and potential collaborations, and from that promoting the international alliance amongst universities and research institutes in the ASEAN region and Japan.
Membership is open to institutes and universities located in the ASEAN region. Initial members were participants in the 1st and 2nd Round Table meetings, including NICT, but membership is not limited to these participants.
- Dialogue on the priorities for ICT research fields, addressing the overarching needs of the
- Forming international collaborative projects such as research, field trials, etc.
- Researcher exchange, etc.
- Hosting academic workshops, exhibitions, etc.
- Other related activities.
To encourage and facilitate these activities, a call will periodically be made to ASEAN IVO members for proposals for any of the above, financial support to be offered by NICT.
- A steering committee is being formed from the organizations. Each country would have one
or two representatives. If one is from a university, the other would be from an institute.
- The steering committee will consider proposals for joint or collaborative R&D projects or other activities within IVO, review ongoing projects, and provide feedback.
- The Steering Committee will carry out their activities by means of e-mail communications, teleconferences and face-to-face meetings.